Saturday, May 9, 2009

WHY we need to be tempered

Aren't I cute? You wouldn't think this little angel would have such a bad temper now, would you?

But I did. My dad snapped this pic when i was about 2-1/2 years old. See Mom peeking around the door. The thing is, as children, we need to be trained in self-control. It's the same when we are children of God. We have a lot of "stuff" that we need to be trained in and brought out of us.

One of my "temper" stories:

Probably about 5-7 years after this picture was taken, I got SO ANGRY at my brother, I chased him around the house with a baseball bat. I was that "mad" that if I would have caught him, I would probably have practically killed him! It's a good thing that he was taller and faster than I.

As you can see - he was a good foot taller than I. He still is about 9 inches taller than I am.

I grew up with a bad 'temper' the rest of my childhood and well into adulthood. I had learned to control it more among strangers, but family was something else again.

Our anger holds us back from the goodness of God. The Bible says we can be angry, but we are not to sin. You know how they say to count to 10 before you cross the line into anger. Are you kidding? I wouldn't even get to "1" before I'd crossed over!!!

Anger isn't the only issue that we need to be "tempered" of...gossip, backbiting, envy, jealousy, self-serving, and all "self" issues - where we elevate what WE want above what God wants.

What do you need to be tempered of? Let God do the work. It will release you into your destiny if you do. I'm beginning to walk in mine.

(Photos: at home on Harrison Street, Newton, KS and at the Grand Tetons, WY)

Next post: Something "new"

No comments:

Post a Comment