Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Emotional Healing Part II - Tapping into the Joy of the Lord


What brings you joy? What makes you happy? For everyone, it is different. For me, a beautiful sunrise or sunset can bring a quiet, peaceful joy. A funny movie, TV show, or reading a funny book can do it for me. Being with friends or family can bring happiness and joy. And doing things I love to do, such as writing, reading, playing piano, singing, or learning something new also bring me joy and happiness. Helping others...the list could go on and on.

Lots of verses come to mind when I think of the joy of the Lord.

In Nehemiah, he states that we should not be sorrowful, because "the joy of the LORD is your strength." I love the song by Twila Paris. "I will not falter, I will not faint. He is my Shepherd, I am not afraid" and much more. Many equate the "Joy of the Lord" as the holy laughter that comes upon people. It can be that, but I think it's so much more.

We need to know how to tap into this "Joy of the Lord" when we do feel sorrowful. The Psalmist said, "weeping endures for the night, but joy comes in the morning." There's something about a new day that can wash away the terrors, pains, and sadness of the night and the previous day. God's mercies are new every morning, thank the Lord.

Isaiah 61 has refers to joy a few times. In this chapter, the prophet Isaiah is prophesying what the Messiah's ministry to mankind will be. He's anointed. He's come to heal and deliver, to comfort and console.

Verse 3 says, "To console those who mourn in Zion. To give them beauty for ashes. The oil of joy for mourning. The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness..."

Verse 7: "Instead of your shame you shall have double honor. And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion. There in their land they shall possess double. Everlasting joy shall be theirs."

When we get to heaven, we'll enter into the joy of our reward. (Matthew 25:21)

Jesus said that if we allow His Spirit to remain in us, and we abide in His love, we'll have His joy. John 15:11 says "These things I have spoken to you that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." We can have Christ's joy in us.

Next up: What is the strength of the Lord and how can we get it?

What brings you joy? Leave a comment and let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Donna, I think the truth is that joy, real joy, is found in Jesus. I see so many people in this world searching for joy in power, money, possessions, politics etc. and they end up empty. John 15:11 hits the nail on the head. Thanks for reminding us to find joy in every new day.

    ReplyDelete