Tuesday, January 7, 2014

We should strive for Excellence in what we do


When God made this rose, even under the present curse of this world, this rose is beautiful isn't it? God doesn't make inferior products - or people. We're always told to do our best. But I believe there is a different way of looking at it.

So why should we do our best or strive for excellence? I have to give credit where credit is due. My first weekend in Bible School, 14 years ago was cold, like it is today, and snowy. Our speaker for Contemporary Theology (which was like chapel) was our esteemed and admired director, Cliff Martin - a last minute substitute because the regular speaker couldn't make it because of the roads.

What I learned from Cliff that day has stayed with me. He spoke of the prophet Daniel, and how Daniel was a man with an excellent spirit.

That's a different take than "doing your best."

Why am I on my soapbox today? As a writer, I'm continually trying to do my best. But I also want my product, a book, or a blog, to be a product of excellence.

I recently purchased a book from a new author from a brand-new publisher. There were many grammatical errors. The story was fabulous. This writer has a great future, I believe, if the writer and the publisher learns the lesson of this blog on excellence.

Daniel 5:12 says that the heathens looked upon Daniel as a man with an excellent spirit, who could understand mysteries and interpret difficult problems. When no one else could figure it out, they sent for Daniel. In this case, it was King Belshazzar, who saw writing in Hebrew on his wall, and he could not understand it. And seeing the disembodied hand who wrote the message scared him, I think.

We all know what was the message was. Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin. Your days are numbered and you're being called into account. King Belshazzar's kingdom was taken from him that night and he died. Eeek! But it took a man of excellence to bring wisdom, revelation, and understanding to this puzzle.

I believe shoddy work of any kind by someone who calls themselves a Christian, is a poor witness, not only to other Christians, but to the world as well. Christianity already has enough detractors. Let's show the world who our God is by becoming more like Him.

I was so distracted by the errors, I felt I had wasted my money. I contacted the new publisher, who replied he was aware of the errors, but sought to get the book on the market quickly, thinking that the errors would be corrected later. Where does that leave me? I already paid full price for this book of errors.

But, I could hardly believe this! Did Christ only partially heal or deliver someone? When did it become so important to get a product out so quickly, that it is an inferior product? I couldn't get away with that in my chocolate business. My customers let me know when something is wrong. I've had to give refunds and re-send shipments.

What was the hurry to get this book out so quickly? I've been waiting years and years to have enough wisdom and training to write a book and get it published so I'm paid to write. Anyone can get a book published. But what kind of book will it be?

I want a book of excellence, written the best I can write it. I'm in revisions of a novel I'm working on. I paid a professional editor a substantial amount to do two substantive edits. I might even hire an additional proofreader if necessary, before I ever send it to a publisher.

I haven't talked to the author yet. She is so very young. But we all need to learn the lessons of patience, perseverance, and excellence. When I see her, I may tell her, as gently as possible, what she might have done to make it better beforehand, and why I feel cheated.

Leave me a comment if you agree or disagree. :-) Let's start talking. Have a blessed day. And...join the discussion, join my blog. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment